Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Anticipation

      Since the stores have all been closed and we have been asked to limit our travel, a lot of things have changed. Seeing friends and family, doing the things we all accept as normal. Chances are, that the way we live will be changed in more ways than one.
     While waiting out this event I've spent a lot of time thinking, recalling good times and adventures and one of the things I keep coming back to is looking forward to being able to visit bookstores and libraries again. They are a huge part of my life and I really am anticipating going back to them!
     I had written this back in 2017, back in the "good old days".  This can be interpreted in more ways than one...
 
 
Anticipation
 
    Taking a breath

I pull the door open

And enter

A world of words.

Different lands,

Altered realities,

Inner space and outer.

Happiness, sadness,

Romance, adventure,

Worlds unexplained.
 


Books and more books.


Arranged on edge

 
Held in place

By their neighbors.

Stacked one atop another,

Row after row,

Thick, thin,

Tall and short.
 
Running my hand

Along their spines,

I look for favored authors,

Beloved subjects,

Hunt for new titles.

Opening a book or two

Scanning the pages

I look for words

Which connect.
 
With luck a book

 
Will be sitting

On its’ shelf,

Waiting for me

To walk past

So it can jump out

And grab me!
 

Putting my hand on the door

I revel in the moment

The second before

I pull it open.

A moment of excitement,

Never knowing what

I’ll find inside.
 
 
                                                                    Phil Breidenbach     (2.11.2017)
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 

 


 

 

 


 
 
 
 


 

 

 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 


1 comment:

frankjd1444@gmail.com said...

Always enjoy your reading your Blogs Phil. You've become a very good writer. Especially enjoy the ones the ones that we shared the adventure

Stepping Back in History

Back in the 17 th and 18 th centuries one of our ancestors' needs was for good quality tools and to get these, they needed metal. The ...