Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Booksellers

     I was reading a book titled A Passion For Books, a collection of essays and stories about, you guessed it, Books! In a piece written by William Targ called The Collector was this paragraph. I thought it bears repeating.  It came from his 1975 memoir called Indecent Pleasures.


     William Targ was a book editor known for publishing Mario Puzo's novel The Godfather. He opened his own bookstore when he was 22. After he retired from the publisher that printed the book, he opened his own publishing/printing company. It was a one man operation that was committed to fine quality printing.  He lived into his 90's.

     This paragraph describes some people I know and consider friends. I think you'll agree with his thoughts...

     "A book collector has friends everywhere. The bookseller from whom you buy books is, more frequently than not, your friend. There is a bond between you that transcends the commercial transaction. For you've established something (call it rapport) between you that is personal, almost spiritual if you will, He understands your interests and your needs and the compulsion which brings you to him. (And let it be freely admitted, his magnet is as compelling to the bibliophile as the bar is to the boozer.) The bookseller becomes inextricably identified with you, your library, your intellectual life."

     With that, I have to say, I really miss visiting my favorite bookstore and talking with my favorite bookseller! I will be so glad when the world opens up again and the stores open their doors to allow us in!

No comments:

Stepping Back in History

Back in the 17 th and 18 th centuries one of our ancestors' needs was for good quality tools and to get these, they needed metal. The ...