Sunday, August 9, 2020

Bitchin' About Lights

 
 I haven’t bitched about lights for awhile. Maybe it’s time once again.
I went outside last night and the sky was pretty clear. The seeing was OK, I could see a fair amount of stars and the moon wasn’t due to rise until nearly 11. Being ¾ illuminated, it would be hiding the stars as it got higher. (The moon is one of the world’s largest light polluters!)
Looking around the neighborhood I realized that it would be fruitless to take the telescope outside. Two neighbors on the right of my house had their porch lights on, shining right where I would set up my scope. To the left, the neighbor a house away from me has a light that is never off, sitting in their front yard, illuminating houses all around it. Luckily there is a row of RoseASharon which hides it from my front yard. But if I need to move the scope onto the street, I’m right in its glow. To make matters worse, across the street from me, the dining room light was on, this also shined right onto my observing spot.
I recently cut my hedges down a bit, they were getting a little out of hand. When I did this, it exposed myself to more lights.  I took the dog for a walk around the street and enjoyed what I could see. Everywhere I went, I ran into someone’s porch or walk light. Being a Friday night, there were 3 or 4 parties going on, bonfires were burning and laughter was heard. It reminded me of summers in the past, back in the care free days. I tripped a few light sensors during my walk and cursed under my breath.
If you know me at all, you’ve heard me talk about the problem of light pollution, or an even better term, light trespassing! Simply said, lights hide the stars with their glare. Lights also make our pupils shrink and because of that we can’t see the fainter stars in the sky. Exposed to a light, such as a car headlight or a porch light, it can take up to 20 minutes before our pupils open up again. To an astronomer, these are 20 LONG minutes!
 
            We as a population rarely see the wonders in the sky above us. The lights on the highways, parking lots, shopping centers and the cities hide these tiny gems from us. Most people have never seen the Milky Way! They don’t know what they are missing! It is important that our children see the stars above them!
 
I remember a time I was in West Virginia, camping near Seneca Rocks with the Explorers Club of Pittsburgh. A huge fire had been built and everyone was surrounding it with beers in hand. Meanwhile, I was about 25-30 yards away gazing at the sky. I could see Messier Objects by eye! The Milky Way was spread across the sky in all its glory. Try as I might, I couldn’t drag them away from the fire…their loss! The next time I went down the telescope went with me.
Another time, in the 80’s, we had gone to Lewes Delaware for a week. One night we went to a small bridge crossing a back waterway to fish for crabs. What a great way to get a cheap dinner! Tie a piece of chicken on a string and drop it off the bridge, a crab will grab it and not let go. All you do is pull it up and drop it in a bucket! Anyway…the sky there was fantastic, stars went from horizon to horizon. It was easy to get lost in them, the familiar stars we all (?) know were hidden by all the fainter stars that we usually don’t see from our light polluted skies. I doubt if this darkness could be experienced there now.
There was one other time which sticks in my mind. I was heading back home after visiting friends in New Hampshire. The Space Shuttle was due to cross the sky about 10 minutes after I left. I pulled over on the side of a small two lane road and got out to watch for it. The morning sky was filled with stars. I was in shock, I nearly forgot about the shuttle pass.  The absence of lights shows us so much! Even though this happened a decade or two ago, I remember it like it was yesterday! Wonder has a way of engraving things in our minds!
The astronomy club I belong to has two observatories, the closest one to me is in Deer Lakes Park. It is a twenty minute drive from my house. It is amazing to me how many more stars are visible from a site that close to where I live.  Sadly the darkness at the observatories is slowly disappearing, people just feel the need for light.
After walking the dog, I sat in a chair in the glow of the neighbor’s lights and looked at the stars I could still see. I have a light shield I built for this very reason but to set it up would take time and it wouldn’t hide all the lights anyway. I settled for the chair in the darkest spot I could find and enjoyed the stars I could see. Maybe I’ll try again on Saturday night I thought. Perhaps they will forget to flick their switches!
On Saturday night, I returned to the front yard around 10 and surprisingly, most of the neighbor’s lights were off. There were still a few problems though. Across the street, the front porch light was on along with two garage lights. They shined on my house and her neighbor’s house. The people beside me had their porch light off but they have a light on the side of their house. It illuminated the house beside them which in turn, shined on my observation site.
Light pollution along with Saturn & Jupiter and some of the stars of Sagittarius to the right
My light shield is to the left
I brought up my light shield and set it up, hiding the glow of the house on my side of the street. My hedges and my car helped block the light from across the street. Jupiter and Saturn were in a perfect spot for observing. I brought the 8” Newtonian out to allow for some closer views. After it became acclimated, the views were spectacular, even with the lights below the pair.

One of Jupiter’s moons was getting closer to the planet as I watched. It took over an hour for Europa to disappear behind the disc of Jupiter. It was sort of like watching paint dry…slowly it got closer and closer. I would observe Saturn for awhile and then go back to see how it was progressing.

I feel as if it took about three minutes from when it appeared to touch the planet’s surface till I couldn’t see it anymore. Watching the four bright moons move gave me a good perspective of what their orbits were like.

Saturn was as wonderful as always. By spending time watching the planet you can see things that a quick glance would miss. The seeing was rock steady! As I watched every so often it appeared to sharpen even more. I saw marking (though faint) on the planets disc and could see individual rings and a nice dark shadow on them from the planet. The planet had a definite 3 dimensional look to it!

I had an early call for church the next day so I started tearing the set-up down after watching Europa disappear. As I was writing down a couple notes, using my red flashlight to protect my night vision, a truck pulled into a parking spot down the street. His high beams caught me right in the eyes. Some very bad things drifted through my mind…a couple minutes later the lights went off and I heard his door close. I took another look through the scope before I put it in the house and DAMNED if his headlights didn’t come on again.

I had a good couple hours. Even with the lights surrounding me I still spent some time with the two large planets. I didn’t realize it then, but I was looking in the same area that the dwarf planet Pluto was in. Hmm, how did I miss that? I saw an occultation of one of Jupiter’s moons and I saw some great views of the ringed planet Saturn. Looking back, it almost makes me forget about the lights.
Mars and the Moon on Mateo’s first birthday
I took the telescope in and then watched the Moon and Mars rise up out of the trees. It made me think of my grandson Mateo. I was out observing the moon the day he was born, one year ago today! I will always have that mental connection of him and the Moon!  Happy Birthday Mateo!

No comments:

Stepping Back in History

Back in the 17 th and 18 th centuries one of our ancestors' needs was for good quality tools and to get these, they needed metal. The ...