Monday, September 28, 2020

International Observe The Moon Day - 9.26.2020

Saturday was International Observe the Moon Day so I took my telescope out and spent a little time with our lunar neighbor.

  The moon was nearly full but the craters along the terminator looked great as always. Some of the peaks on their walls seemed to be hanging in space. Looking at the full moon will give you a “washed out” view, it is often much better to view during a partial phase. The dark edge of the terminator highlights the craters lying along it. Sunshine will often hit the peaks of the mountains, leaving the bottoms in darkness making them appear to be floating above the surface of the moon. Cool!

                A neighbor and her daughter were walking their dogs and I shared my view with them.  I believe that they both were impressed and “wowed” by the view. To top things off, I swung the scope over to Saturn and showed them the ringed planet. That got another “Oh WOW!”

                With the nearly full moon, I didn’t have to worry about neighbors lights since the moon itself is so bright. That was a plus! I didn’t stay out long, it had been a long day and this was just what I needed to finish it off. Some views through my telescope and, I got to share them with some others! That is just what any amateur astronomer likes to do, share his/her passions with others! The scope was put away and soon after, I was visiting my other world, the world of my dreams.


 

Stepping Back in History

Back in the 17 th and 18 th centuries one of our ancestors' needs was for good quality tools and to get these, they needed metal. The ...