Tuesday, September 21, 2021

The Roads We Travel

 

        Looking at the books sitting on my shelves, I can see the connecting threads between them. Some are obvious while others are hidden between the words within them. I find that there is more than threads that connect them together, there are actual roads. Some are major highways and others just slight trails through the brush.

        I find it amazing how a peculiar subjects is sometimes mentioned in more than one of the books I’ve read. It might be a simple paragraph which takes me back to a book I’ve just finished. It usually isn’t anything special, often just a sentence or two that drags me back. I sometimes think it is just my imagination but yet, I know that both of these books have had the same idea or subject matter in them!

        Here’s an example; in the book Bloodless by Preston and Child, a bit of the plot involves the disappearance of D.B. Cooper. (He was a man who hijacked an airplane in the early 70’s. He parachuted into a storm and was never seen again.) Later when I was reading Stephen Kings’ newest book, Billy Summers, there is a mention of D.B. Cooper in one of the final pages. It is just a sentence or two but still, there was that name, one I hadn’t heard in years. Both of these books were published within a week of each other so I don’t think one got the idea from the other. It is just an odd occurrence, a slight path which mentally connects one book to another.

        I came across another road…this one dealing with trees. In the book Arbornaut by Meg Lowman, the author tells about her life studying trees, climbing into them and exploring their crowns. In the book she tells how she taught herself how to climb into these huge trees so she could discover what had never been studied before. A book or two later, (Yes, I tend to think of books as periods of time) while reading Fuzz by Mary Roach, I came across another of these trails. Her book is about animals that break our laws and how we, as society tend to take care of them. In one of her chapters she tells the readers about how trees also can be deadly, how people can be killed and how property can be damaged by them. She describes how certain men are skilled at taking them down and pruning them to avoid these things. (She is talking about sequoias and redwoods, very LARGE trees.) In this chapter she goes on to tell us how these workers climb these huge trees and safely do their jobs. It isn’t a major road but once again, there is a definite connection between these books.  I love these coincidences!

        Sometimes it is a highway that takes me from one spot to another. Finishing a book that I really enjoyed, I’ll often look up another of the writers’ works. The expressway takes me right to it. There are times that their book is in my collection and when I go to get it, there is a short road leading right to the book beside it. A slight detour, but it is frequently a detour I don’t mind taking!

        I’ve always thought that it never hurts to follow a detour, sometimes you get lost but most of the time you eventually get to where you wanted to go! As long as time isn’t of the essence, go for it! You never know what you’ll see or might find!

        Should you be taken to a spot you have visited before, it can be comforting. It is nice to visit with old friends. Old familiar sights can warm your heart!

        These roads, highways and modest trails take me to places I’ve never been to before and almost always, I enjoy the trip. There are occasions when I back up and forget about the road simply because I didn’t enjoy the scenery. There is no shame to that since I know; there are plenty of other roads to explore. I don’t have to travel them all!

        Mentally, there are times when I feel that these byways are taking me away from the reality and obligations of the world I live in and I can guess that’s probably true. I’ve been traveling these roads since I first learned to read, since I first realized how many roads there were and how exciting it can be to travel them! I know how roads can help a person escape.

        I’ll always be a traveler, as long as I’m still able to comprehend where the roads are taking me. Rain or shine, I’ll always enjoy the trips! No map or compass is needed; I know where they’re going!



1 comment:

frankjd1444@gmail.com said...

Really well written Phil. Been on these detours myself at times

Stepping Back in History

Back in the 17 th and 18 th centuries one of our ancestors' needs was for good quality tools and to get these, they needed metal. The ...