Monday, January 17, 2022

Snowmageddon Chase

     For a couple days now, the forecasters have been warning the Pittsburgh area about the terrible winter storm heading our way.  This naturally sent people running to the stores and gas stations to refill everything that needed stocked. The snow didn’t start in Pittsburgh until late Sunday afternoon.

    By eleven there were a couple inches on the ground and people were wisely staying in their homes. The only vehicles seen on the highway below the house were snowplows. The walk was shoveled in preparation for additional snow that was forecast to come during the night.

    The morning was bright. Birds were working at depleting the seeds in the feeder. The walk needed another shoveling and before I could leave to go anywhere, the car needed cleared of snow and a path shoveled onto the road. After some coffee and breakfast, I went out to play in the snow. There was about 6-7 inches in my yard though in other places I went, it was deeper.

    The township where I live is very good at keeping the streets cleared after a snowfall. Thankfully the near-by communities had followed this lead. The roads I gravitated towards were the back roads. They were smaller roads which followed streams and railroad tracks, roads which tended to have less traffic on them than the larger ones. The car handled what little snow we encountered with no problems. I drove down one road that no plows had visited yet. A mile or two was enough for me but luckily, I encountered another road, just as the plow passed by!

    In Hampton Township I went to my favorite “go to” spot and pulled over and took a small walk down to the stream. I heard some loud bird calls and hoped it might be the heron, but I didn't see it. Walking along the railroad tracks heading back to the car, I couldn’t help but think that this would be a perfect time for a train to come along.

    A truck pulled in behind the car and a man got out with a camera. I said hello and asked if he was shooting “snow scenes” or “train shots”. When he replied "trains", I asked if one was coming soon. He said it would be here in a couple minutes! I started to hear the rumble of engines as we were talking. In less than a minute a train being pulled by three engines rounded the bend. What luck! He took some shots and returned to his truck and raced off after the train.

    A couple pictures later, I did the same. The train had passed the first crossing and as I took to higher roads above the tracks, I couldn’t see or hear it. I figured I’d have to chase it all the way to Mars. (Pennsylvania, not space!) Not far from Wildwood Road, I encountered it again. 

    The train had slowed down to wait for a signal that would allow them to continue on. Workers were clearing the snow and ice off of a switch further ahead. I learnt this by talking to the photographer I had met before.  He works for the RR in the publicity department and was taking some snowy rail shots of the train.

    After taking some more exposures I continued on looking for other subjects. Hunger and the need for another cup of coffee brought me back to the house. My feet had stayed dry but the bottoms of my jeans were soaked. It felt good slipping into some sweatpants and slippers. It was no big deal, sometimes you have sacrifice your comfort for your hobbies! 

    Note: As I am writing this, I hear the whistle of the train. The three engines are returning after dropping off their load. Instead of rushing out and chasing after them, I’ll simply take another sip of my coffee and watch as the lights below start to flash, the engines will be here in no time. I’ll simply stay inside where it’s nice, dry and warm. Maybe I'll read a book!




1 comment:

frankjd1444@gmail.com said...

Sounds like a fun day despite the weather. I really the b&w of the road

Stepping Back in History

Back in the 17 th and 18 th centuries one of our ancestors' needs was for good quality tools and to get these, they needed metal. The ...