Friday, November 4, 2022

Notes

 Picture this, you are out somewhere and an idea pops into your head. If your anything like me, (?) you pull out your pen and your notebook and scribble a note. Now, I have to admit, I don’t see a lot of people walking around with pens and notebooks in their pockets, now days the phones take preference.  Still, I’d like to think there are a few out there!

    I have been writing notes for decades. It came from my profession. Being a machinist, I had to do lots of basic math problems and often needed to figure out angles and the lengths of their sides, trigonometry. A simple calculator would do the trick, but I always felt that to fully understand the problem, a sketch was usually necessary.

    I also needed to remember the numbers I had just figured out, the memory banks aren’t quite as good as I would like them to be. A notebook was always on my work bench and a writing implement was always near-by.

    For my own thoughts and notes, things that had nothing to do with work; I started carrying a small notebook in my chest pocket. Naturally, a pen was clipped in beside it. Its contents consisted of things such as, quotes I’d come across in books, dreams I had the night before, grocery lists and ideas about things I might write about.

    Dealing with that last subject, when I got home or had some free time, I’d sit down and review what I had written in my notebook. Then I’d take my pen and start writing my thoughts onto a sheet of paper.

    Looking back at some of these sheets, my original drafts, they were really a mess. Written in long hand, with words crossed out and others written above the lines with arrows pointing to insertion points, they were downright sloppy.

    When I finally got what I wanted, I would drag out the typewriter and type it onto a piece of nice paper. More recently, I type it into the computer, which gives me a lot better control over keeping track of them.

    I still start my essays with cursive, and to make it even better, I tend to write with a fountain pen. (It’s what I’m using right now!) My buddy and I recently went and bought ourselves some new pens. Mine is a fine tipped Lamy pen, chrome blue in color, filled with pale blue ink! It’s a very smooth writing pen. I have to say, it looks and feels nice also.

    It’s appropriate, since today is National Fountain Pen Day. The first Friday of November, a day dedicated to the use of this style of pen and, to promote the act of writing. Put your thoughts down on a sheet of paper and in honor of the day, use a fountain pen! Hopefully you’ll enjoy the experience, I always do!


1 comment:

frankjd1444@gmail.com said...

It's time for me to do the same and carry a pen and notebook.

Stepping Back in History

Back in the 17 th and 18 th centuries one of our ancestors' needs was for good quality tools and to get these, they needed metal. The ...