Monday, July 3, 2023

Rainy Day

Sitting in a small coffee shop, I look out of the window and watch as the traffic goes by. Thinking as the cars speed by, it seemed as if I’ve been doing this a lot, staring out the window.  So much of the day has spent doing this as compared to going outside and breathing in the fresh air. The weather tends to enforce this, the driving rain just isn’t inviting.

    It is another typical grey Pittsburgh day. The promise of rain came true, it has arrived. “Dismal” could be used to describe the day. There are no bright colors, nothing shines. Even the hoods and sides of the cars appeared muted.

    It is hard to be optimistic on days such as this. The chores around the house had been finished, a prescription still needs to be picked up at the local pharmacy and after that, the days plans will be completed.

    A fresh urn of coffee is being brewed, that is something worth looking forward to! A donut sits in a brown paper bag on the table. Decisions, decisions, should I wait for the coffee or just dig in, that is the question. I chose to wait for the coffee and continue to stare out the window and think.

    Looking at the uninspiring parking lot, the rain increases to a downpour. Going out to the car will involve getting drenched. The view from the window is a perfect spot to wait it out. Especially since a fresh cup of coffee is now in my hand.

    I had the idea that I would go out in search for some photos. A grey day didn’t mean that there wasn’t anything worth taking a picture of. The opportunities are endless no matter what the weather might present.

    Halfway through my cup of coffee the rain tapers off a bit, enough that I can make the “run” to the car. Back on the road, people in a hurry speed past me, their tires splashing my windshield and obscuring my view. The rains intensified again as I slowly make my way towards my pharmacy and then my nice, dry house.

    Thinking about photography, I realized that the only way I’d get any pictures today would involve getting very wet in the process. Still…the shots are always there, constantly changing as the day progresses and the weather changes. They are there; I just have to SEE them, I just have to get a little wet.

    The rain tapers off a bit so I take a short drive to a favored spot. Wildlife occasionally show themselves here, perhaps something will today.

    The rain has slowed to a mist, so I get out and take a short walk. I take a few pictures but nothing excites me. The rain increases again and I return to the car with nothing of importance stored in the camera.

    Then, it’s back to the quiet solitude of my home. A fresh cup of home brewed coffee, a partially read book to read and then, maybe a few more minutes of staring out the window…thinking about the pictures I could’ve gotten.


2 comments:

frankjd1444@gmail.com said...

It has been a dreary depressing weekend. A good thing it got me caught up a little on my reading

Pete Zapadka said...

Ah, Phil, it seems I've been away so long. I've missed reading your heartwarming blogs! You have a conversational way of writing, and I enjoy it so much! Keep 'em coming, my friend!

Stepping Back in History

Back in the 17 th and 18 th centuries one of our ancestors' needs was for good quality tools and to get these, they needed metal. The ...