Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Spending Time

During the hot days of the last week, I found myself indoors more than out.  This can be a good thing since I can put a little more effort into doing some of the chores I've been putting off. Passing the clock in the hallway, I started thinking about how long it has been since my grandfather clock has last been running; it has easily been months if not a year. For some reason, it had stopped working after winding.

    The clock is located on a landing in the middle of the stairs. Doing any type of work on it is difficult due to its location. Before I could do anything, I had to remove the top. This is about 12 X 20 X 32 inches and made out of wood, both heavy and awkward. To be removed, it slides off the base. With the little amount of space I had to work with, I was worried that I might bump the wall or slip while I had it over my head. The carpeted top of the stairs provided a perfect spot to place it and I set it there without any problems.

    Setting up the step ladder I climbed up and took a look at the inner workings. There isn’t a lot in there, some shafts, gears and some pulleys. A quick inspection showed me nothing so I repositioned the ladder and moved over to the opposite side and took a look from there.  Almost immediately I saw what I believed was the problem. The chain holding the weight had a kink in it and it had jammed against one of the pulleys. Carefully I reached into the works and lifted the chain. (And the weight attached to it) With a little jiggling, (A professional term) I was able to undo the kink and realign the chain with the pulley. 

    I have no idea how old this clock is, it has been in my house since the 1970’s. It was brought home by my father after his sister, my Aunt Ena died. It had been part of her estate. Today, looking on-line, I found that the maker, Henry Hahn was born in 1754 and died in 1843. His clock making business operated from 1790 through 1820 so that would make this piece a little over 200 years old! It has some scrapes and bumps in it and some of the parts can use a bit of tightening but for the time being, it is still looking good!

    After a little cleaning and giving the pendulum a push, it was working once again. That was a bit of pressure off my shoulders, I was really hoping that I wouldn’t have to take it to a clock repair man! 

    While the top was off, I cleaned both the insides and outsides, removed old cobwebs, washed the glass and waxed the wood. I also cleaned, dusted and waxed the base at the same time! Carefully I put the top back and then stood back and admired my work. I hadn’t done much but I felt good seeing it working again. I guess I could say it was “Time Well Spent”! 


1 comment:

frankjd1444@gmail.com said...

I'm glad you got that working. Kelley and I love that clock. It's such a unique. piece

Spending Time

During the hot days of the last week, I found myself indoors more than out.  This can be a good thing since I can put a little more effort i...