Friday, July 17, 2020

My Search for Comet Neowise

 
                As I’m sure you know, there is a new comet in the skies, Comet Neowise. Here in the Pittsburgh area it isn’t quite as spectacular as it is in locations further away from cities, clouds and humidity. Still, this visitor from space is worth going out to see!

                I saw it first in the morning sky on July 9th, around 5 o’clock. I was walking the dog with a pair of binoculars around my neck, checking the sky every few minutes. (Thank heavens no neighbors looked out their windows!)I knew it was to the left and below the bright planet Venus so I had an idea of where to look. The Pittsburgh skies provided a slight covering of clouds in the area I was looking towards. Finally, in-between two houses I saw it!  Try as I might I couldn’t see it by eye alone. Then, the clouds moved in again and it was gone.

                I went out a few more times as the days progressed, only to be greeted by clouds and more clouds. (There might have been a little rain mixed in there also) I did enjoy the time listening to the birds waking up. There is nothing like the fresh air, smells of flowers, birds chirping and the brightening sky in the early morning!

                The comet is visible in the evening skies now, under the Big Dipper, in the northwest. Since I work in the afternoon and evening, I miss these viewing hours. I’ve gone out a few times at work but our company is located in a valley and is covered with spotlights. Both are bad conditions for seeing something faint on the horizon!

                I had yesterday, Thursday the 16th, off of work. We had some rain storms move through the area and ones predicted for the evening. I wasn’t expecting to be going out to search. When 9PM rolled around, I could see a couple patches of blue sky so I decided to take a drive.

                I found an open view towards the northwest along Middle Road, across the street from a house with all its outside lights lit. I pulled over and got out and started scanning the sky with my binoculars. No luck at all, there were big puffy clouds right where the comet should be. I waited and kept scanning. The Big Dipper slowly appeared and as I went back and forth, I found it! After looking at it for awhile, I got the tripod out of the car and set it up along with the camera. I couldn’t see the comet by eye so I had to take a few “trial” shots to locate it. That is the nice thing about digital cameras, you can see if your exposure or subject is correct. Once I located it, I took a bunch of pictures and then, feeling great, I headed back home.

 While I was taking pictures, I had to shield the camera from car headlights. The clouds were covering it up again as I left. I had been on the side of the road for about an hour. I kept expecting the police to show up. The pictures aren’t the greatest, but at least I got some. It wasn’t the best spot to observe from, but it did the trick!

                Now, I can’t wait to see what tonight will bring!

2 comments:

Bernice said...

Nice "catch" of Neowise from the side of the road. Your sky pics are always fascinating.

frankjd1444@gmail.com said...

Really nice picture. Well worth the effort

Stepping Back in History

Back in the 17 th and 18 th centuries one of our ancestors' needs was for good quality tools and to get these, they needed metal. The ...