Saturday, July 18, 2020

The Comet Chase Continues

7.18.20

                After a wonderful night at Wagman Observatory last night, I decided to stay home tonight. It was a great night at Deer Lakes. I saw a lot of friends I hadn’t seen in awhile and made a couple new ones while I was there.
                The comet was visible by eye as were thousands of stars that can’t be seen from my light polluted back yard. I took lots of pictures and really enjoyed BS’ing with friends and other star gazers. We watched the International Space Station go overhead early in the evening and later as it passed off to the north of the observatory. A few shooting stars were seen also. Like I said, a great night
 

Shot from Wagman, 7.17.20  140mm  f7.1 @ 5sc. (7.17.20 10:04PM)
                Today was extremely hot and we basically hung out in the house, hardly moving unless necessary. After the sky darkened, I walked down my street and saw the comet with binoculars. I could see how it had moved. The two stars it is above tonight were the ones we used as pointer stars last night. Yesterday it was below and to the right of the pair.
                Instead of going up on a hill, I decided to go low tonight. I drove into the valley by my house and set the camera on the pitcher’s mound in the field at Lower Glenshaw Church. This gave me some foreground for my shots. I only stayed for about 10-15 minutes and then returned home. Gotta get up early tomorrow, it’s Sunday!
Shot at Lower Glenshaw ball field, 160mm  f7.1  5 sc. (7.18.20 10:11PM)
 
                Naturally, I’m looking forward to the next viewing of the comet. It is interesting watching it move through the sky! I hope you’re watching its passage also!
(note: by clicking on the pictures you can see a larger version)

No comments:

Stepping Back in History

Back in the 17 th and 18 th centuries one of our ancestors' needs was for good quality tools and to get these, they needed metal. The ...