Friday, November 6, 2020

My Civil Duty, My Privilege, My Right!

 

                Going into my local polling spot, I stood in a hallway facing a glass door, the glare from the morning outside kept things in the hallway silhouetted. There were two people ahead of me, standing beside a door in the hall. They were standing rather close to each other; I thought that maybe they were friends.

                A trio of elderly people left from another door and the couple ahead of me moved into the room. I moved up and saw the woman talking to one of the election officials. After she signed in they asked for the name of the other person and he said he was just coming to see how it’s done. He was going to watch his mom vote. He was getting a look at how it was done. It gave me a good feeling!

                This year we did a paper vote, filling in a circle with a pen. After I had made my choices, I took the sheet over to a scanner and fed the paper into it. The paper disappeared and my vote was counted.

                I thanked the poll workers for being there for us and went back outside into the bright morning. I felt much better than I did normally after voting. This year millions of people cast their votes by mail. I was the 143rd person to cast a vote at my spot. 143 since 7AM, it was about 9:15 when I walked out. Usually I vote as I go to work and usually the numbers are pretty close to the same. I voted about 4 hours earlier than normal, so it looks like we are going to have a great turn-out.

                I got a little choked up, I admit!

                It took me about 15 minutes to go from my house to the poll and back again. People I talked to who had gone earlier in the day said they had to wait awhile, but in our small community there is hardly ever a wait to cast your vote.

                So, as far as I’m concerned, in another 4-5 days (ha) we will know who won the election. In my own humble opinion, I hope we will have voted   into office a person I can be proud of, not someone who constantly embarrasses me. I hope the results show up soon, but knowing our current commander in chief, it might take months.

                I had a very good feeling watching the mother taking her son into the polling place with her to show him how it is done. I feel it is very important to cast your vote, your opinion on how you feel our country should be run. If you don’t vote, don’t complain! It may not always be for the best but most of the time our country continues to move upward and onward. God Bless it!!

No comments:

Stepping Back in History

Back in the 17 th and 18 th centuries one of our ancestors' needs was for good quality tools and to get these, they needed metal. The ...