Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Finally!!!

 

I did something today that I haven’t done in at least 6 months! I went into a library and BROWSED! I had ordered some books on-line and had them delivered to the Bridgeville Library for pick up. When they called to tell me they were in, they asked if I would like them to bring the books out to the car or would I be coming in?

Naturally…I went in! A mask is required of course. The librarian was sitting behind a booth-like enclosure, high Plexiglas on three sides.  It was difficult for her to hear me or for me to hear her. I asked if we were able to browse the stacks or just pick-up pre-ordered books.  She told me they were open and I could stay for up to 45 minutes.  I had to keep my mask on and maintain social distances.

I was overjoyed! In fact I was a little bit overwhelmed. I got a bit choked up as I told the librarians how excited I was. The libraries closed in Alleghany County on March 16th, the announcement was sent on March 13th, Friday the 13th! That is “approximately” 223 days since I’ve been inside a library. (Not that I was counting) Ann Marie and I did go inside the main Branch in Oakland in the beginning of September but it turned out they were closed except for using the computers, picking up pre-ordered books or to use the bathrooms. We took a run to the bathrooms just to go inside and look around. It really wasn't what we had hoped for!

I was excited, where do I start? What do I want to get?  I finally went to the farthest set of shelves and worked my way back to the main desk. Biographies and into hobbies and home keeping, through the sciences and into fiction, I just strolled along, pulling out books when they looked appealing. I picked up a couple books I have probably read before and added them to my pile.

There was one other patron in the library with me. We kept our distance from each other but I really wanted to go over and say how excited I was. No doubt she was also, it sure looked as if she was smiling under her mask! How could she not be excited to be finally allowed back into this sacred temple of education?

I passed over the DVD’s and moved on to the “new” shelves. One of the books there was a new version of the Scrabble Players Dictionary. I wonder how many times that has been lent out.  I have a copy of it at home so I passed over it.

I left the library with four new books to read. I couldn’t wait to get started. I pulled into “my spot” near the stream and looked through my cache. I picked one out and started to read, I still had 20 minutes until work started, plenty of time…

Oh, what a great feeling!

1 comment:

frankjd1444@gmail.com said...

Sounds like a really great day

Stepping Back in History

Back in the 17 th and 18 th centuries one of our ancestors' needs was for good quality tools and to get these, they needed metal. The ...