Saturday, December 31, 2022

My Photographic Memory

 

Looking through some of the thousands of pictures and slides I’ve taken over the years, I’ve come to a realization. This collection of “snapshots”; weddings, baptisms vacations, camping trips and other adventures are all memory aids.

    When I was in grade school I could never figure out why the teachers wanted us to remember things.  Take state capitals, “OK, now how often do you think I’ll need those in the future?” The names of the Presidents or how to diagram a sentence, they might come in handy eventually but do I need to commit them to memory? Multiplication tables and mathematical functions… well, they were used a lot in my future, they did come in handy!

    I, in my infinite wisdom back in grade school, figured if I knew where and how to get the information, why did I need to memorize it?

    Much as I hate to say it, there is a lot that I’ve forgotten. I will be forever in need of my notebooks and calendars. There is a reason that I write down people’s birthdays and the dates they have left us. Simply said, if I didn’t note them, they’d be gone.

    While listing these dates and names on my new 2023 calendar, I was debating whether or not to skip a few names. There are a couple men I used to work with decades ago, should I eliminate their names since I no longer work with them or see anyone who would even remember them? I decided to keep them there, as long as their name is on the calendar, they will be remembered. Saying their names keeps them alive in my memory.

    I can’t recall things like I used to, my memory never was a great one. If there are a lot of names in a novel I’m reading, I keep a slip of paper in the book to help keep track of who is who. I have trouble remembering the plots of books I’ve read, the names and details don’t stay with me, even the books I love. I’m familiar with the night sky but to pull out the names of stars and constellations can sometimes be daunting. I won’t go as far as to say my memory is terrible but it sure isn’t good. I have always envied those who can call up facts, names and dates at a moment’s notice. This is something that was never meant to be for me.

    This is one of the reasons my camera and photography is important. In a way it acts as my memory. I take pictures of the places I go, things I enjoy doing, and people I like and love. Looking back at these pictures helps me remember those occasions. I usually can tell where a shot was taken and who I was with but the dates often leave me floundering. Thank heavens I’ve put notations on most of my slides and pictures!

    Being able to remember things is a wonderful ability; we don’t know how lucky we are to have it! Thankfully, my grade school declaration has proved helpful in my life. I can usually find where the information I need is, especially in these modern days of computer aids.

    I have lots more slides and negatives to sort through and I’m loving it because of all the memories they’re bringing back. They truly are my photographic memory!


    Happy New Year and may this upcoming year provide us all with lots more wonderful memories!


1 comment:

frankjd1444@gmail.com said...

You are not alone Phil. Sometimes it can be very frustrating and depressing not to remember. Photos that we have taken are a big help

Stepping Back in History

Back in the 17 th and 18 th centuries one of our ancestors' needs was for good quality tools and to get these, they needed metal. The ...