Friday, December 23, 2022

Time Keeps on Slippin, Slippin, Slippin...

 

The wind intermittently blasts against the house, the shrubs bounce their frozen branches back and forth and the temperature continues to drop. The windows have taken on artistic looks as the frost lines across them. Birds flutter as they attempt to grab onto the swinging feeder.

    Inside, I am warm as I wait for the inevitable power outage. It isn’t so much “will” as it is “when” it will occur. Rain preceded the drop in temperature and already branches litter the yard. The wind chills are below zero.

    I usually only leave the house one or two times a day but already I am pacing the floors. Being restricted to the inside tends to draw out the normal passage of time.

    Thank heavens for my books, I won’t be alone. There are candles in the drawers and everything that requires it, has been charged.

    Snow fell for a while, obscuring my views of the valley below. Not that there was much to see, most people have observed the constant warnings aired on the radio and television. It is best to stay inside. With Christmas just two days away, there is the possibility that visits and plans may need to be rescheduled.

    Time has slowed down. Walking around the house the cracks in the walls are more noticeable. The worn handles on the once new knives hanging in the kitchen and the creaks in the floors as I walk across them remind me of how time passes by.

    Thinking back, I’m happy with most of my life, there have been some bad spots but for the most part, I think it’s been a good life and I’m pleased with the spot I’m currently in. This isn’t to say that I wouldn’t change a few things if I could, but that isn’t an option.

    I feel for those who have been given a rougher road than mine. We all encounter those rough spots and those who have to battle them during the holidays have an even tougher time of it. The problems I have are minor to those of others. This is something I attempt to remember every day of the year, but it is even more important around the holidays.

    Looking through the small clear spot on the frosted window, I think about how time is always moving forward but not always at the same speed. I hope and pray that we all have a wonderful holiday, no matter where we might end up celebrating it. The New Year is almost here. Like I said, time keeps on slipping...slipping...slipping...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

3 comments:

frankjd1444@gmail.com said...

Nice blog Phil. Merry Christmas

Pete Zapadka said...

Fabulous and heartwarming as always, Phil! 😍 Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! 😃

Bernice said...

Feliz Navidad.....it is only 17* here in Fincastle VA.....feels like 2* due to the arctic wind blasts. No snow here....just cold wind.

But wait.....what's this?? Friday the 30th it will be a balmy 60* here. And THIS is one of the many reasons Virginia is better than Pennsylvania. Hahahha.

Only ONE old window in the house had some frost on it this morning. And the storm door glass gets a bit frosty when I run out to hang bird feeders.

They showed clips of winter weather in PGH on the Weather Channel....cars slding off roads & people throwing rock salt. Gotta throw some cinders when it gets this cold. I do NOT miss Pittsburgh winters.

Stepping Back in History

Back in the 17 th and 18 th centuries one of our ancestors' needs was for good quality tools and to get these, they needed metal. The ...