Sunday, May 12, 2024

Viewing the Aurora from Wagman

 Chances are that you have heard numerous reports, seen hundreds of photographs and even listened to and watched news reports about Friday night’s auroras. Well, let me add one more to your pile.

    The sun is currently at what is called solar maximum, the peak of an eleven year cycle. A massive coronal mass ejection from the sun was due to hit the earth causing a huge geomagnetic storm. The particles expelled from the sun interact with the earth’s magnetic fields and causes what is known as Aurora Borealis or the Northern Lights. (In the southern hemisphere, they are called Aurora Australis or the Southern Lights.) Solar observers gave notice a few days ago and rapidly the word spread. Astronomers passed the word via the internet and before long TV newscasters were mentioned it along with how and where the aurora could be viewed.

    The convergence of any astronomical event and bad weather is a well known coincidence. In astronomy clubs a common joke is that by simply buying a new telescope or eye piece you will be bringing bad weather into your hometown. Astronomical events such as conjunctions, occultations and eclipses can bring on this phenomenon also. It was because of this that I reigned in my enthusiasm a bit!

    The Amateur Astronomers Association of Pittsburgh (AAAP) had its monthly meeting on Friday night. Attendance was in person or via Zoom, I chose to attend by way of my computer. Sitting beside the window my attention drifted between the meeting, the NOAA Aurora Prediction page (it was looking good!) and the sky outside. I left when the meeting was half over; the chance that something might occur in the sky overrode the meeting’s presentation.

    The clouds in the sky were very dramatic looking, tinged with oranges and reds. I was hoping that the sky would clear as I drove towards the club’s observatory. As the sky darkened there seemed to be a brighter patch in the north and while I didn’t think it was an aurora, the thought did cross my mind more than once. My hopes were rising.

    Pulling up to the gate at the Wagman Observatory, I found that the small parking lot was filled and cars were parked alongside the narrow road. Someone had parked directly in front of the gates and I had to search them out in able to open them.  There were about 20 or more people scattered across the field. Once the gate was opened cars flooded into the field, coming and going for the rest of the evening.

    At 9 o’clock the sky was still rather bright. The crescent moon in the west was all that was visible. Slowly more and more stars appeared. A large cloud was situated in the north but still everyone there was hopeful and excited. People stood alone and in groups, all facing the north. A TV camera man had his camera set up, patiently waiting along with the rest of us. Cameras were set up on tripods and nearly everyone had phones in their hands, quietly talking among themselves. During the evening, at least 10 members of the AAAP arrived along with a crowd possibly numbering 100 or more.

    The first noticeable burst came right after 10. I heard someone say “I can see it!” and then, there was no doubt that we were seeing an aurora. A big one!

    Batches of colors, mainly red and pink (to my aging eyes) appeared in the sky. Fainter colors appeared, looking more like rays or curtains. They would appear and then fade off only to reappear elsewhere, different shapes and colors. Grays and whites along with yellows seemed more prominent behind the observatory while the blobs or larger batches of colors seemed to be mostly off to the left, in the NW. The aurora grew in size, eventually extending past the zenith and into the southern skies. It was spectacular!


    About 15 minutes into this show, the International Space Station made a pass almost directly overhead. Its pass made it appear to slice through both the Big Dipper and the aurora. We couldn’t have asked for more. Everyone in the field was excited.


    It was fun being in a group while experiencing this event. The feelings of happiness and wonder were contagious. I couldn’t help but compare it to last month’s total solar eclipse, both events showcased the wonders of our world and the beauty of the skies, presents that were given to us to enjoy.

    The show continued for about an hour before fading down after 11. The TV man provided footage for the Channel 2 news.  Thousands of pictures were taken. The glow of smart phones was seen everywhere I looked. The pictures taken by them were dramatic, providing more colors than what we saw by eye. I was envious; my camera exposures were in the 20-25 second range while theirs were just a second or two, but I still enjoyed the process of photographing the aurora. It’s interesting how different cameras and phones produced different colors in their pictures.

    The club members started packing up to go a bit after 11 and I was getting tired also. Before we could leave we had to get all of the cars out of the field. Thankfully there were only 6 or 7 left. We told the owners that they could stay on the hilltop; they just couldn’t leave their cars there. There was one driver we couldn’t locate, after a brief search, I finally found him over the hillside below the observatory.

    While locking the gate, a County Policeman arrived with lights flashing. There were cars lining both sides of the road, some had actually parked on the road rather than off to the side. I can only imagine that some tickets were issued after I left. People were still arriving as I drove away.

   The last time I had seen an aurora, the only other time I might add, was at the same place, Wagman Observatory, on June 13th, 1991.

     I drove home through a thick fog and when I got home, nothing was visible in the sky at all. I was extremely happy to have taken the drive up to the observatory!

    During the event, I couldn’t help but think; last month we had a total solar eclipse and this month we were treated to a fantastic aurora. What in the world will June bring us?


No comments:

Stepping Back in History

Back in the 17 th and 18 th centuries one of our ancestors' needs was for good quality tools and to get these, they needed metal. The ...