Thursday, September 8, 2022

The Kindness of Others

 I have a couple geocaches hidden with-in a few miles of my house. Recently, I was driving down rt.8 and passed the location of one of them. There was a tractor cutting the grass and weeds near where the cache was located. Fearing the worst, I came back an hour or two later only to find the fallen tree that the cache was hidden under, was gone.

    I looked around and saw nothing. The hide was about 10 feet away from the normally mowed grass. The log stretched out to where the grass was cut. I looked under the debris the mower had left behind, the broken and cut sticks and leaves and also looked over the edge of the hillside behind the cache site. There was no sign of the container or any of the items inside it. I saw the log over the hillside and worked my way down to it and nothing was there either.

    These hides are only a game and when one disappears, it’s no big deal. Still, I was a bit saddened. I went home and temporarily disabled the cache.

    A day or two later, I received an e-mail from Geocaching.com saying that someone had my cache and to contact them to get it back. Soon I had the container and its contents in hand.

    The man driving the tractor saw the container when the blades hit it. The mower had cracked the container. Seeing that it was part of the game of geocaching, he contacted the web site and they contacted me. He works for the township and has taken his kids out geocaching a couple times. He could have just left it or thrown it away but being a good human being, he took that extra step and got the container back to me.

    It has since been re-hidden, in the same spot only under some rocks now instead of a log. Thanks to the kindness of Tom, the cache is back in business and ready to be found again. We can all use a little kindness, do your part in passing it around! Pay it forward, I know I will!

     Cache on!


No comments:

Spending Time

During the hot days of the last week, I found myself indoors more than out.  This can be a good thing since I can put a little more effort i...